During the years dedicated to the writing of their doctoral thesis, the doctoral candidate must undertake a series of accompanying training, courses, seminars, missions, or internships. Together with the thesis, these activities constitute the doctoral program, which leads to the award of the doctoral degree.
The doctoral program is defined at the beginning of each year by the doctoral candidate and their research director. It can be updated throughout the year. The doctoral program is subject to annual monitoring by research directors and the doctoral school council, but it does not result in the award of a degree. At the end of each of the first three years of enrollment in the doctoral program, the research director validates the completed parts of the program with the doctoral candidate. The information is then transmitted to the doctoral school council, which also validates it. The doctoral program must be completed to enable the doctoral thesis defense.
ECTS and Doctoral Program
The doctoral program results in the awarding of ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits. 150 ECTS are allocated for the thesis writing and defense, and an additional 30 ECTS are assigned to complementary modules during the first 3 years of doctoral registration.
To obtain the 30 ECTS, the doctoral candidate must accrue a minimum of 5 ECTS and a maximum of 15 per module, spanning at least 3 out of the 4 available modules.
Adjustments or exemptions with an allocation of 15 to 20 ECTS may be granted, upon justification, by the Doctoral School Council to doctoral candidates residing outside of France when their attendance in the various module activities is impossible.
In the case of a joint supervision (cotutelle), the doctoral program must be validated proportionally to the time spent by the doctoral candidate at the University Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne.
For each of the following cases, ECTS may be allocated after the examination of the dossier by the Doctoral School Council:
- Doctoral candidate with a full-time professional activity (1,607 annual hours) other than teaching duties (6 ECTS awarded per year, up to a maximum of 3 years).
- Doctoral candidate with a part-time professional activity other than teaching duties (annual allocation, up to a maximum of 3 years, of a number of ECTS calculated in proportion to the time spent on this activity).
- Secondary school teachers or those with the status of PRAG (holders of a part-time position) (6 ECTS awarded per year, up to a maximum of 3 years).
- Secondary school teachers or those with the status of PRAG (part-time position) (annual allocation, up to a maximum of 3 years, of a number of ECTS calculated in proportion to the time spent on this activity).
- Doctoral candidates under a CIFRE agreement with professional activity related to academic expertise (3 ECTS awarded per year, up to a maximum of 3 years).
Activities offered to doctoral students as part of the doctoral programme
- Follow-up on training offered as part of the ED (training offered by the ED and the Doctoral Training Unit): 1 ECTS for 10 hours of training (to obtain ECTS, doctoral students must have diligently attended the chosen training).
- Follow-up on training provided outside the ED: 1 ECTS for 10 hours of training (to obtain ECTS, doctoral students must have diligently attended the chosen training).
- Participation in a research project other than the thesis project: 2 ECTS for 3 days of work on the project.
- Research stay abroad: 1 ECTS per month.
- Participation in study days, round tables, and other scientific events without presenting: 1 ECTS
Scientific Activities within the Doctoral School
- Participation in the Doctoral School's welcome meeting: 1 ECTS (maximum of 1 time during the entire program)
- Regular attendance of seminars organized by the research unit to which the doctoral candidate belongs (minimum participation expected in 3/4 of the meetings): 1 ECTS per year (up to 3 ECTS over the 3-year program)
- Presentation during seminars organized by the research unit to which the doctoral candidate belongs: 1 ECTS per presentation (up to 3 ECTS over the course of the program)
- Poster presentation during seminars organized by the research unit to which the doctoral candidate belongs: 1 ECTS per poster presentation (up to 3 ECTS over the course of the program)
External outreach scientific activities
- Communication at a highly visible scientific conference: up to 3 ECTS per presentation (for co-authored presentations, ECTS will be awarded proportionally based on individual contributions)
- Publication of an article in a ranked journal (CNRS, CORE, FNEGE, HCERES): 5 ECTS per article (for co-authored articles, ECTS will be awarded proportionally based on individual contributions)
- Publication of a book chapter in a research book: 3 ECTS per chapter
- Research valorization activities aimed at the socio-economic sector: 2 ECTS
- Publication of a review of a published book: 2 ECTS
Research and teaching organization
- Teaching in higher education and other pedagogical activities (excluding PRAG): 2 ECTS (for 20 hours of teaching)
- Participation in organizing scientific events: 1 ECTS per participation
- Doctoral student representation roles :
- within the ED (5 ECTS for a 2-year mandate)
- within a laboratory (3 ECTS for a 2-year mandate)
- within the Research Commission (3 ECTS for a 2-year mandate)
- Contributions to research organization and animation (participation in the Science Festival, organization of industry-researcher meetings, development of a patent, development of a journal, organization of professional conferences, establishment of partnerships with companies, etc.): 2 ECTS